Making herb butter is the most delicious way to use herbs! And it’s so easy to do! Herb butter can be used frozen and used in so many recipes and they preserve the fresh, wonderful taste of summer! Ready to make herb butter?
The herb garden at StoneGable is full of life and lots of herbs. Mint, parsley, basil, chives, rosemary, oregano, thyme and more!
When the basil is getting crazy out of control I know it is time to make herb or compound butters!
It is a staple in my kitchen.
WHAT IS HERB BUTTER?
Herb butter is a culinary treat! It’s butter, and you know everything is better with butter! And it is softened and then mixed up with chopped herbs and other great add-ins. The herbs infuse the butter with their flavor and the butter suspends the herbs and keeps their flavor fresh. A very synergistic and delicious relationship!
AN EASY RECIPE TO REMEMBER
Here’s how easy it is to make…
ONE STICK OF SOFTENED BUTTER + 2-3 TBS HERBS + OTHER YUMMY MORSELS
Just think of all the possibilities! Use your favorite herb combinations and other wonderful flavor inhancers!
Here are some of the delicious things from your kitchen and garden you can add to your herb butter to enhance its flavor!
- shallots (one of my very favorite)
- citrus peel
- hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- citrus juice
- chili powder
- edible flowers
And this is not the whole list! Use what you have in your refrigerator or pantry!
THINGS YOU NEED TO MAKE COMPOUND BUTTER
There is really very little you actually need to make compound butter beside the butter, the herbs, and the add-in. But these few other things will help to make the butter easy to roll and keep…
- parchment paper
- plastic wrap or freezer bags
- rubber spatula
EASY SCRUMPTIOUS RECIPES
Use the recipe below for other compound butters! The procedure is the same, just use your imagination!
LEMON HERB BUTTER
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 TBS thyme leaves pulled off stems
- 1 TBS basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon peel chopped
- 1 TBS lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp garlic finely minced
- Put the softened butter in a bowl and add all the ingredients, mixing well.
- Put the butter in the freezer for 10 minutes until it is hard but not frozen.
- Spoon the compound butter onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Roll the plastic wrap around the butter and form it into a log about 2- 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap the compound butter in the plastic wrap log in parchment paper and refrigerate or freeze. Label
- Put butter logs in a large zip type bag if you are keeping it in the freezer
LEMON CHIVE BUTTER
This is one of my favorite compound butters!
- one softened stick of butter
- 2-3 TBS thinly snipped chives
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBS finely chopped shallots
- dash of salt
FRENCH COMPOUND BUTTER
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1/2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped shallots
- 2 TBS chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 TBS white wine
- dash of salt
WAYS TO USE HERB BUTTER
Just slice off a round and use it in any savory recipe that calls for butter!
Here are just a few examples…
- sauté vegetables
- omelets and scrambled eggs
- saute or roast fish or chicken
- finish steaks
- use as a base for sauces
- make garlic toast
- saute shrimp or shellfish
- mix with pasta
- use as butter for grilled cheese and other grilled sandwiches
- make a roux
- give as a hostess gift
Beautiful, tasty, and easy savory butters! Make sure to make them and add them to your recipes for the fresh summer taste of herbs all year long!
Do you have an herb butter combination to share? Share in the comments below, we would love to hear from you!
If you love herbs, like I do, you will love these other herb related posts too!