Our mouth has great power to bless those around us and to curse as well! How can we love others with our words?
I have a question for you? Do you like the good news or the bad new first? Personally, I like the bad news first so I can deal with it and move on to the good news.
I have good news and bad news for you today. Let’s deal with the bad first. Before we can bless others with our words we need to know some pretty sad facts!
The Bible has a lot to say about our mouths (tongue)! And most of it is not good.
The mouth is like a mirror into our very hearts. It is the overflow valve for what we are felling and thinking! It is uncontrollable by our own power and will betray the ugliness of our souls to the world by what we say!
OUT OF THE ABUNDANCE OF THE HEART THE MOUTH SPEAKS Luke 6:45
Out of it comes everything we harbor in our hearts. Both good and bad.
We just have to listen or read the news to see this in action! But we really don’t have to go that far. We can listen to ourselves. Does that hit a little too close to home?
An uncontrolled tongue is like a little fire. It is so powerful it can set a whole forest aflame! In the tongue is the very world of hurt. Opposed to God and filled with unrighteous works.
It is a small part of our body, yet it defiles our whole bodies!
To drive this point home even more… the tongue cannot be tamed by our own power, it is restless to speak evil and is full of deadly poison (James 3:5-9).
So there it is! The bad news laid out before us! Our uncontrolled mouth does the bidding of our desperately wicked hearts (Jere 17:9). They are an infamously deadly team!
You may be asking, “Yvonne, I thought today we were talking about LOVING Others”?
Yes, we are but we need to see the true state of our hearts and mouth before we begin to love others with it. If we don’t we will go on using our mouths to the destruction of others and ourselves.
Let’s just acknowledge that God is right! He knows us even if we can’t admit our true nature!
But here’s the good, no great news! When we finally submit and admit our heart and mouths are as God says we can begin to use them in ways that truly bless others.
Only by the power of the Holy Spirit can we fight the urge to use our mouths in ungodly ways!
It is a moment-by-moment walk with God to control the use of our tongues to be a help and a blessing to God and others. I know I want that! How about you?
Our mouths can be used to love others and build them up!
Here are some practical ways to control our tongues. But remember this can only be done when we surrender our hearts (mind, will, emotion and intellect) to God Himself!
- Listen to yourself. We need to be good, avid, active listeners to what we are saying! Notice what you say and how you say it. You might be surprised! “A soothing tongue is the tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit“. Pro 15:4.
- Stop trying to control what you say! Surrender your heart and mouth to the power of the Holy Spirit. Memorize and use this verse as a devout prayer throughout the day, “Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips” Ps 141:3. Then follow in action the leadings of God. He will lead you to bless an love on others with what you say and do!
- Stop complaining! This is the sign of an unchecked mouth and heart. Complaining hurts you and others and poisons your attitude! Instead of complaining talk to the Lord! He is the only one that can help you with any situation! “Do all things without grumbling and complaining.” Phil 2:14
- Do not gossip! Gossip is murder! It kills the character of others. When someone hurts us or we hear something deliciously bad about someone it is our nature to want to tell others. Don’t give in to that urge. Go to God and tell Him first and pray for the person you feel the need to gossip about! And keep the conversation between you and God! “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good“. Romans 13:21 “Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander is a fool“. Prov 10:18
- Use your mouth to only bless God and be a blessing to others. Your words have power! Power of life and death. Let what you say give live and comfort to others, even your enemies! “Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name.” Ps 103:1 “The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped.” Pro 11:25
Speak only when you can edify someone! Speak kindness and grace! In this you will love your neighbor!
Today’s Sunday Scripture was a bit of tough love for you and me. But if we wish to love others with what we say we need to check ourselves first! Right?
It is the goal of my life to be a great blessing to others… and that means YOU! So here is my prayer for you…
May the God of all love and grace bless you and keep your heart pure and your mouth filled to overflowing with blessings! Amen and amen!
Here’s a verse to meditate on this week…
“Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips” Ps 141:3.