Every day we make hundreds of decisions… probably thousands. Many decisions we make we are not particularly aware of! But, some decisions are weighty. They are the decisions that keep us up at night. Some are life-changing and scary and hard! Today, let’s discuss how to make those hard decisions. First, let me say that all decisions should be made in light of God’s word. The bible should be the plumbline by which our lives are measured. But, there are some decisions that get muddled up with emotions and options and plain indecisiveness! Here are 5 steps to take when making those tough decisions…
1. PRAY! Have a conversation with God. He already knows what you want and what the outcome will be. God knows what is best for your life. He is Omniscient. He is ALL KNOWING. Then why, does God want us to pray if he already knows? Because God wants to have a close and meaningful relationship with Him. He knows, but WE don’t! He wants us to learn and grow in Him and that means making decisions that are according to His word and will. In doing so, we glorify God and magnify (make big) God in our lives.
2. Get your heart (mind, will, emotion and intellect) in such a state that it has no will of its own. Not an easy thing to do! But 9/10 of the difficulty in making a tough decision is overcoming our own strong wills! We need to make God’s will for our lives… ours!
This is often times a battle. If most of us were truly honest we can confess that we want our own way. Spend time in God’s Word and in prayer asking God to make His will YOUR’S. So many times we try to see “signs” and have “feelings” that bend towards our own preferences. But, really the best thing for us is always God’s will!
3. And speaking of “feelings”… they can be so deceiving! Do not make a decision out of feelings or “impressions”. The longer we walk with God the better we are at discerning God’s will for our lives. Make decisions based on the word of God. A sure way to know that something is NOT the will of God is that is DOES NOT align with His word! If what we feel or think God is telling us goes against the Word of God then we can be SURE that it is not God’s will and not from God.
4. Seek the Spirit of God by connecting with the Word of God! Simply, talk to God and ask Him to show you His will and read your Bible. These things must be connected when making a wise and godly decision. God will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ask you to make a decision that goes against His word… NEVER!!!!
Romans 1:2 says…
AND DO NOT BE CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD, BUT TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND, THAT YOU MAY PROVE WHAT THE WILL OF GOD IS, THAT WHICH IS GOOD AN ACCEPTABLE AND PERFECT.
In other words, God is saying do not identify with the ungodliness and desires of what we see around you. Doing so is a sure way to make wrong decisions! But transform (a process of renewing that happens by the power of God… a change of heart) your thoughts, your will, and your intellect. So that you will know what the word of God is by putting it to the test. Putting what you think up against the Word of God to see if your thoughts align with God’s word. It is so important to do that because you want to know God’s will for yourself and make decisions that are good in God’s eyes, acceptable and well-pleasing to God and will grow you up to be spiritually and intellectually mature.
We want our thoughts, will, and intellect to be exactly like our Father’s!
5. Lastly, after we have done all the above, take into account Providential circumstances. I say this with a warning! Make sure you have earnestly prayed, gotten your heart into a state that it has no will of its own. Make very sure you have discounted “feelings” and “impressions” and have sought the Spirit of God and connected with the Word of God.
God’s word says…
THE HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS AND DESPERATELY WICKED. WHO CAN KNOW IT? Jere. 17:9
Our heart… mind, will, emotion and intellect… is the most crooked and incurable sick-with-wickedness thing in the whole world! It is so full of pride and self-seeking that there is really no way to know the depths of its sickness.
Yes, that IS how bad our heart’s really are! Don’t you see why we need to be transformed?
Once we have totally handed our hearts over to God’s will we can then look for God’s working in our lives. That is what Providential circumstances are. Ways we can see God showing us his will.
This is not the easy way to make a tough decision, is it? But is is the GODLY way!
God does not guarantee that our answer will be swift either. But God is faithful. So, we need to be faithful. Keep on praying and seeking and reading the Bible and looking for God’s answer without letting our will’s muck up the whole thing!
When you finally make a godly decision, remember to praise and thank God! And don’t fall into the pit of doubt. Believe God and nothing else!
I hope this will help you make those tough decisions we all face in life with confidence that God will show you the right way to go!
May we be blessed and matured and give glory to God through all of our tough decisions!
Have a blessed Sunday!
Bible verse this week:
AND DO NOT BE CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD, BUT TRANSFORMED BY THE RENEWING OF YOUR MIND, THAT YOU MAY PROVE WHAT THE WILL OF GOD IS, THAT WHICH IS GOOD AN ACCEPTABLE AND PERFECT. Romans 12:2
Remember to pin this to your Pinterest boards! Follow me on Pinterest HERE. You can find archived Sunday Scriptures on my Pinterest board.