I think coleslaw has been given a very bad wrap! Most of us don’t make it ourselves so we settle for a limp, wimpy, tasteless, overly sweet, mayonnaise-y mess! In reality coleslaw can be absolutely scrumptious! Crunchy, creamy, filled with subtle flavors and a bit of a sweet and tangy balance. Coleslaw is SEXY! And so so easy to make. Reintroduce yourself to the best coleslaw you will ever eat!
Here are some important things to remember about making a scrumptious coleslaw:
- it should be crunchy
- it should be full of great flavors
- it should be a balance of sweet and tangy
- it should not be swimming in mayonnaise
- it should be well seasoned
- it should have a little time for the flavors to marry
- keep is simple
- 1 pound bag of shredded coleslaw mix
- 2/3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 green onion, cleaned and finely chopped, reserve a little for the top of the coleslaw
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped red pepper, reserve 1/2 for the top of the coleslaw
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper,
- Put the coleslaw mix into a large bowl, reserve.
- In another bowl add mayonnaise, sugar and cider vinegar. Mix well to make a dressing. Pour the dressing into the coleslaw mix and combine. Add the parsley, green onions, red peppers, salt and pepper to the coleslaw and fold to incorporate. Garnish with extra pepper, diced green onion and finely diced red peppers.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. The flavors will marry within a couple of hours.
- This is not rocket science and can be altered to your own taste.
I hope this becomes a wonderful go-to recipe to balance and cool down great eats like barbecue, use instead of lettuce and mayo on a sandwich, make instead of a salad and so more!