I’m sharing my very favorite go-to stew. Everyone loves Perfect Braised Pot Roast! It’s easy to make and can be made well enough ahead to be company worthy and will keep you out of the kitchen when guest come over! I guarantee that if you make it once it will be your favorite too! The chuck roast gets fork tender, the soft carrots and mushroom have a hearty, beefy flavor and the gravy… oh, my! This is seriously good, I think it’s a must-try!
This pot roast can be made in the oven or in the slow cooker. Either way tastes great. But, if you have the time cook it in the oven. I love how the oven caramelizes the beef and veggies!
- 1 3lb. boneless chuck roast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion. peeled and sliced
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 TBS fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1 heaping TBS tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock (or broth)... you may need more
- 8 or more small potatoes
- 3 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Salt one side of beef.
- Put olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add meat salt side down when the oil is hot. Sear until crusty brown, about 10 minutes. Salt the top of the chuck roast. And turn over. Sear for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the chuck roast to a plate and reserve. Pepper the chuck roast liberally.
- Add onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are getting translucent. Add mushroom and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook another minute. Turn off cook top and add wine and beef broth. Turn cook top back on to medium heat and stir all ingredients and deglaze dutch oven. Pepper again. Cook for 2 minutes. Turn off cook top and add beef and any liquids on the plate. Nestle the baby potatoes around the beef. Beef should be about 1/2 covered with liquid. If not, add more beef broth.
- Cook in the oven, UNCOVERED for 1 hour. Turn the oven down to 275 and cook COVERED for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the beef is fork tender.
- Pull apart the beef and serve in bowls with soft veggies and gravy.
- This pot roast can be done in a slow cooker. Make following all the cook top directions. Then, add everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours.
Remember to pin this to your Pinterest Recipe board. You can follow me on Pinterest and see what I am pinning HERE.