Magic Dust BBQ Rub is a delicious blend of deep smoky flavors, a little kick of heat, and a bit of sweetness, all combined for barbecue perfection! Sprinkle it on vegetables or rub it on meat for great BBQ flavor!
Magic Dust BBQ Rub is one of the most famous rubs for meats! It can also be shaken on vegetables and mixed into mayonnaise as a zesty, savory spread. When we grill, this versatile rub is a must. The YUM factor is off the charts! This recipe is a keeper if you like rich smokey goodness and a bit of sweetness in your food.
We use Magic Rub on all kinds of protein, in chili, sprinkled on potato wedges, in soups and so much more. I’ve tweaked the original recipe a little to work with the flavors we love. I’m sure you will love it too and it will become a must-have in your spice cupboard and when you barbecue!
Magic Dust was created by famous pitmaster Mike Mills. It is a delicious blend of deep smoky flavors, a little bit of heat and kick, and a bit of sweetness all combined into barbecue perfection!
The recipe is so easy to make! Go ahead and make this recipe your own by changing a few ingredients to work with the favors you and your family love too!
HERE’S WHAT’S IN MAGIC DUST BBQ RUB
1/2 cup Paprika: We use smoked paprika to add to the smoky flavor. Or you can use regular sweet paprika if the smoked variety is too much for you.
1/4 cup Salt: I use a fine kosher salt. Salt is a flavor enhancer. Helps to make everything taste better.
1/4 cup Sugar: Use brown sugar, light or dark, for a bit of sweetness! In a pinch white sugar can be substituted.
2 Tablespoons Mustard Powder: Mustard powder is a great way to add more flavor and a bit of heat to this rub. We add a little more mustard powder.
1/4 cup Chili Powder: A familiar flavor in rubs and sauces.
1/4 cup Ground Cumin: Cumin helps to give this rub its smoky flavor.
1/4 cup Garlic: Use garlic powder or granulated garlic. We like using freeze-dried garlic in our recipe.
1/4 cup Onion: Use onion powder, granulated onion, or freeze-dried onions.
2 Tablespoons Cayenne: Add heat and a little kick with cayenne! Use a bit more if you like heat.
2 Tablespoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper: Adds a little bite and flavor. We like about half the ground pepper called for.
MAGIC DUST RECIPE IDEAS…
If you would ask me our favorite way to use Magic Dust I would say, chicken! Grilled chicken with this spice rub is scrumptious! Our favorite is grilled rubbed chicken thighs!
But don’t limit this barbecue hero to chicken alone. It’s magical (hence its name) on beef! Steaks, brisket, burgers, and more. And it is amazing rubbed on pork like chops, ribs, and pork tenderloin! Hot dogs become extra special with a sprinkle of Magic dust before grilling!
Here are some other creative ways to turn food into extraordinary dishes!
- Mix melted butter with a dash or two of Magic Dust and slather it on corn on the cob or shrimp on the grill.
- Grill cubed boneless skinless chicken breast rubbed with Magic Rub on skewers and other vegetables.
- Make a smokey and spicy coleslaw by adding a shake of the spice mix.
- Make beer can chicken rubbed with Magic Rub.
- Add a vinaigrette with a shake of Magic Rub and pour over vegetables.
- Like a mushroom burger? It’s a great vegan choice when sprinkled with Magic Rub.
- Add the rub to a Low Country Boil.
- Grilled Salmon is delicious sprinkled with a little Magic Rub and olive oil.
- Add a pinch to baked beans for a great spicy BBQ flavor.
STORING THE RUB
Magic Dust is best when it is stored in a container like an air-tight plastic container or a covered jar. My favorite way to store it is in a mason jar!
But also put this delicious rub in a shaker to easily shake on foods when you cook or keep a shaker on the table!
HOW TO MAKE MAGIC DUST BBQ RUB
MAGIC DUST BBQ RUB RECIPE
- 1/2 cup smokey or sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup fine kosher salt
- 2 TBS mustard powder
- 1/4 cup dried chili powder
- 1/4 cup dried cumin
- 1/4 cup garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup onion powder or granulated onion
- 2 TBS cayenne pepper
- 2 TBS freshly ground pepper
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until incorporated.
- Put in an air tight container like a jar.