Side tables are a lot like side dishes of the decorating world. They are not the main course of a room like a sofa or a coffee table but act as a very important part of it! Just like a complimenting side dish acts to enhance the total meal experience a side table adds to the beauty and function of a room. Side tables serve many purposes, some obvious but some that are not so apparent at first glance. Let’s learn how to choose the perfect end table for your home!
Side tables are a way to enhance a living room or family room. It’s important to keep a side table’s function in mind but just as important to choose a side table for its beauty and the way it exhibits your personal style.
Today, let’s talk about using side tables next to sofas and chairs.
There are so many sizes, types, materials, and designs when it comes to side tables. Choosing the same side table for each side of a sofa will bring order and symmetry to a room. But, side tables need not match. As a matter of fact adding side tables that are a little different can give a room some much needed contrast and interest.
The cost of a side table can be thousands and thousands of dollars or as little as one hundred (or less as you will see in get the look). Here’s the thing… buy what you love and what looks good in your home. It does not have to be the best. It just has to be the best for you! Only spend as many dollars as years you are willing to have it in your home!
Really, any table can be deemed a side table if it follows some simple rules.
Let’s talk about some general rules first…
Height matters. A side table works best if it is about an inch or two or three below the arm of a sofa or chair. Easy-peasy to get the height right. Just measure from the floor to the top of the arm of a sofa or chair and subtract one to three inches for your perfect side table height. This rule is not a must, but it will make your space more comfortable to live in.
Consider width. When you are considering the width of a side table think about two things… the space a side table will fit into and what the surface of the table will be used for.
If space is tight, it’s very important to measure and have a little breathing room on each side of the side table. A couple inches on each side will be fine. If space is not a problem then you have a lot more options. Remember you don’t have to fill up the entire space. Choose a side table that balances well with the rest of the room.
Also, consider what the surface of your table will house. Will it hold a lamp? For a standard size lamp you will probably need a side table that is at least 22″ wide. Having a general idea of how you will use a side table before you buy one makes the selection easier!
Other things to consider…
- Are you planning on storing things in or on a side table? Then it might need a drawer.
- Will you use it to stack books or other things? How about choosing a side table with a shelf.
- If you will be using it to hold drinks and food, glass, marble or other stone would be a good choice.
- Is the area for a side table small. Stacking tables are a great way to expand usable area.
- Do you want to add an element of metal to your room? Side tables are perfect for bringing the beauty of metal to a space. Just remember if you need two side tables keep them the same metal. However, you can mix them with other metals in the room.
- If you have lots of squares and rectangle shaped furnishings in the room round side tables will soften the look.
- Do mix wood and glass though. Just make sure the tables are the same height if you are using two. This will give a room a lovely warm and organic feel that is very pleasing to the eye.
- Mix shapes too. Try pairing a round table with a rectangle table made from the same material. Just make sure they are the same height.
- Side tables are a way to add fun, an unexpected element to your room and originality! Show off your style with some interesting side tables!
Now that I’ve given you some pretty standard decorating guidelines I’m going to amend the above by saying… DO WHAT YOU LOVE! If you love a side table and the way to looks in a room then it’s perfect!!!!
I most often follow these time-honored rules but when I go rouge because I love love love another option in my home I find I get so much joy from those pieces of decor and my room looks like me!
Take a look at your end tables do they bring style and joy to your room?
I found lots of very VERY reasonably price end tables just for you!
Click on the image to see more!
You might like to follow me on Pinterest and see what I’m finding to pin every day HERE!
This post contains affiliate links.