Side and end tables are an important part of a useful and beautiful living space. Here are savvy tips for choosing end tables for you home and some of the prettiest souces.
End tables are an important part of any living space! They are useful and add a great deal of beauty and interest to our rooms. Do you know the difference between end tables, side tables, and even nightstands? Here are lots of helpful information and ideas and more about fabulous end tables!
End tables are a way to enhance a living room or family room. It’s essential to keep an end table’s function in mind but it’s just as important to choose an end table for its beauty and the way it exhibits your personal style.
Today, let’s talk about using end tables next to sofas and chairs.
There are so many sizes, types, materials, and designs when it comes to end tables.
Choosing the same end table for each side of a sofa will bring order and symmetry to a room.
But, side tables need not match. As a matter of fact, adding tables that are a little different can give a room some much needed contrast and interest.
As we chat about important things to know about side tables I’ll be sharing some really beautiful side tables! I would love to have any of these in our home!
A WORD ABOUT COST
The cost of a side table can be thousands of dollars or less than one hundred dollars!
Here’s the thing…
buy what you love and what looks good in your home.
It does not have to be the best. It just has to be the best for you!
Only spend as many dollars as years you are willing to have it in your home!
If you remember one thing from this post…
SPEND ONLY AS MANY DOLLARS AS YEARS YOU ARE WILLING TO HAVE A PIECE OF FURNITURE IN YOUR HOME
Really, any table can be deemed a side table if it follows some simple rules.
The names end tables and side tables are synonymous. They are the same things. But here’s something interesting, nightstands also end tables. When you look for an end table make sure to also look at nightstands too. They work wonderfully as end tables.
Let’s talk about some general rules for choosing the perfect end table…
Yes, height does matter.
The average height of a side table is about 24 inches. However, there are many outliers!
An end table works best if it is about an inch or two or three below the arm of a sofa or chair.
Easy-peasy to get the height right. Just measure from the floor to the top of the arm of a sofa or chair and subtract one to three inches for your perfect side table height.
This rule is not a must, but it will make your space more comfortable to live in.
I break this rule more than follow it. However, do as I say and not as I do! You will be happier!
END TABLE IDEAS AND WIDTH
Consider width when thinking about an end table. When you think about the width of an end table think about the space a side table will fit in.
If space is tight, it’s very important to measure and have a little breathing room on each side of the side table. A couple inches on each side will be fine.
If space is not a problem then you have a lot more options. Remember you don’t have to fill up the entire space on the side of a sofa or chair.
Choose a side table that balances well with the rest of the room.
Also, consider what the surface of your table will house.
Will it hold a lamp? For a standard-size lamp, you will probably need a side table that is at least 22″ wide.
Having a general idea of how you will use a side table before you buy one makes the selection easier!
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER
Here are a few other things to consider to choose the perfect end table for your room.
- Are you planning on storing things in or on a side table? Then it might need a drawer.
- Will you use it to stack books or other things? How about choosing a side table with a shelf.
- If you will be using it to hold drinks and food, glass, marble, or other stone would be a good choice.
- Is the area for a side table small. Stacking tables are a great way to expand the usable area.
DESIGNER TIPS THAT WILL MAKE YOUR END TABLES SHINE
- Do you want to add an element of metal to your room? Side tables are perfect for bringing the beauty of metal to a space. Just remember if you need two side tables keep them the same metal. However, you can mix them with other metals in the room.
- If you have lots of squares and rectangle-shaped furnishings in the room round side tables will soften the look.
- Do mix wood and glass though. Just make sure the tables are the same height if you are using two. This will give a room a lovely warm and organic feel that is very pleasing to the eye.
- Mix shapes too. Try pairing a round table with a rectangle table made from the same material. Just make sure they are the same height.
- End tables are a way to add fun, an unexpected element to your room and originality! Show off your style with some interesting side tables!
NON TRADITIONAL END TABLES
I have a little confession…
I love non-traditional end tables. Think about using a bar cart as an end table. If you turn it with the short side showing you have a great space with a shelf!
And if you have room, try adding a small table to the side of a sofa instead of a traditional end table.
Or choose a big basket as an end table to add a big dose of texture to a room.
Be creative! Follow good interior design rules but don’t be afraid to break them to add your personality and functionality to your room!