Our fireplace makeover is my favorite update so far! When we first moved into Tanglewood the fireplace was an okay, ho-hum boring space. Now we love it! I’m so excited to show you how we updated our fireplace and gave it a huge facelift!
When we moved into the Tanglewood house this is what our fireplace looked like…
A nice fireplace but nothing special! An itty-bitty mantel, no hearth, and been-there-done-that dental work crown molding! The color of the fireplace was the color of the entire house! YIKES!
After we painted the ENTIRE house the mantel was the next home project we checked off our list!
And here’s the new fireplace…
Let me say right off, this was a job we did not tackle ourselves. My great construction guys, Cliff and John listened to what we wanted and worked their magic!
They were able to completely makeover and update the fireplace in two days! And that included a lot of glue drying time.
The fireplace was painted Simply White by Benjamin Moore like the rest of our home. It’s a nice soft white! The brick is a brighter white.
These guys are so so neat! They laid tarps and a faux oriental runner down in front of the fireplace to keep the dust and debris down to a minimum!
First things first! Demolition. There was not a whole lot of demolition! Off came the itty-bitty mantel and the dental work and the pilasters and the u-g-l-y tile!
I’ve never seen the guts of a fireplace, have you?
I chose a white painted brick to create the hearth and the surround of the mantel.
Cliff tried something new with our fireplace. He prebuilt a lot of the fireplace and painted it in his shop to save a lot of mess in our home. Brilliant idea!
So he brought everything in pieces! The hearth was something he constructed in his shop and it was a HEAVY piece to bring in!
There are my neat and creative guys! Fox Construction.
Next came the facing header and legs. I call this the “surround”. He put them together in his shop too!
And when the facing header and legs were glued to the fireplace they were supported in place by a couple boards nailed into the drywall until they dried.
The fluted mantel legs and the plinths were also constructed in Cliff’s shop and he sat one in place for me to see while the surround was drying.
Once the surround was secure the sides (fluted legs and plinths) were glued and nailed into place. And they nice guys put the mantel on the fireplace so I could see how it would look. And of course, take a picture for you!
Lastly, they worked their magic and got the mantel on, caulked all the gaps and spaces and put the electrical socket on the mantel!
Really, the fireplace is even better than I had hoped!
Our little stone “house mouse” has found a home once again on this mantel. We found the little mouse on the mantel of our first home and he has made himself at home on every mantel since!
Here are a few things we wanted to include in our fireplace makeover..
We wanted a mantel that was lower and wider than the one at StoneGable. Our old one was very narrow and a bit too high. So we placed the mantel at about eye level.
One feature we loved on our mantel at StoneGable was an electrical outlet. And the Tanglewood fireplace had one too!
One thing I wish we would have done was to add an outlet on the other side of our mantel too. If you have thoughts of a fireplace makeover an electrical outlet on BOTH sides of the mantel would be smart.
We couldn’t be happier! Our fireplace is the focal point for the whole open area of our great room! It makes a big difference in making Tanglewood feel like home!
You might like to check out our new home Tanglewood HERE.