Wednesdays are the most fun day of the week on the blog! It's Wednesday Weekly Wishlist! Get the best ideas, learn fun things and find the best buys! Join in the fun!
Happy January! We have lots to share on Wednesday Weekly Wishlist! I’m one of those people who love to put up Christmas decorations but also love to see them go! January is all about getting my home organized and decorated for the cold winter months. Today we have lots of ideas, sources, and other fun things for you this first Wednesday in January!
Let’s get right to it… Ann’s up first!
ON SUTTON PLACE
1.) If you are ready to update a space, but don’t want to completely start over, begin by replacing one thing at a time. The perfect place to start is with the lighting. When we moved into our new house, I replaced the pendant lights over the kitchen island…and it made such a big difference. Just that one thing completely changed the look and feel of our kitchen. See our pendant lights HERE, and HERE are the lights my daughter has in her kitchen. I love this light because it comes in the most amazing colors, and this one would work great for just about any decor style.
2.) FAVORITE QUOTE: “Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get the chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.” ~Dr. Seuss
3.) I’ve got some definite TV start dates for you, so mark your calendars! Season 2 of Sweet Magnolias streams on Netflix on Friday, February 4th. For Bridgerton fans, season 2 will be available on Netflix on Friday, March 25th. From Julian Fellowes, Downton Abbey creator, The Gilded Age comes to HBO on Monday, January 24th. Not so good news: season 5 of The Crown won’t be released until November, 2022. So a bit of a wait there!
4.) January is typically the month when organizing rises to the top of our to-do lists. To organize properly, you need the right tools. The vertical storage this galvanized tiered stand provides is so great, free up room in your bathroom cabinets by using this seagrass toilet paper holder, and streamline your kitchen counters with these stunning stoneware canisters. I just bought two of these rolling carts, and they have come in handy everywhere.
5.) When you look out your window and see gray skies, and nothing is growing, the thing to do is reach for your gardening and flower arranging books. Here are my favorites: from Floret Farm, A Year in Flowers. This is a gorgeous book that shows you how to design arrangements for every season. Also from Floret Farm, Cut Flower Garden. These two books are treasures. I also love Peonies: Beautiful Varieties for Home, and Garden Maker, which shows you how to “grow beautiful things that reflect the glory and majesty of the Creator and bring a little bit of heaven down to earth.” Doesn’t that sound lovely?
6.) FAVORITE INSTAGRAM ACCOUNTS: @myteenytinyhouse is from the owner of a charming + tiny rural house, @amycwhyte shares her interior design business along with her amazing home, and @tuftandtrim showcases her spacious, light-filled, and delightful spaces.
7.) If, on some gloomy afternoon, you need a sweet and chocolate pick-me-up, I have just the thing. Check out my Brownie for One. It is is completely satisfying, and you don’t have to worry about portion control!
8.) I’ve never watched an entire episode of The Voice, but the winner of Season 21 is a group from a small town in Ohio, very near where I live, and I think they are incredible. I found out about them because our local newspaper published an article telling their story. They are three siblings, and they sing the most incredible harmony. If you love Alison Krause, Joni Mitchell, or even Glen Campbell, you will enjoy their music. Oh…they call themselves Girl Named Tom!
9.) COMING SOON: tips for adding a cozy vibe to your winter spaces, a tour of our master bathroom, and a comforting recipe for chicken and rice soup.
10.) I hope your new year is off to a wonderful start…see you next week!
1. Happy New Year! I wish you lots of joy and a happy positive outlook in this new year! I love the month of January. It’s like a clean slate and the weather makes me slow down and spend time working on our home especially when it comes to organizing and cleaning out things I no longer use. If you are like me you might like The Ultimate Guide to Cleaning And Organizing and 10 Decorating Lessons I learned in 2021.
2. Here are my favorite storage and organizing containers and more… these food containers (I’ve ordered them 3 times because you can use them for so much), this drawer organizer, this storage container and lid organizer, and this expandable cloth drying rack.
3. While recuperating from a horrible stomach bug I read the most delightful decorating/lifestyle book! I’m an avid fan of Paula Sutton from Hill House Vintage and her book is just so charming! Although I’m not a vintage collector, her take on life and decorating was a huge breath of fresh air! A must-read!
4. Decor Crushes this week… this gorgeous vase, this fabulous coffee table, these chairs, this pretty console table, this faux indoor tree, this versatile lamp, this upholstered platform bed (we just got), this swoon-worthy sideboard, and this mirror (we also got).
5. I love Air Fryer chicken but I miss a sauce. Chicken needs a sauce! Here is an easy pan sauce for any chicken. In a large pan melt 4 TBS butter. Add 4 TBS flour and whisk until well mixed. Cook for a couple minutes. Add 2 cups of good hearty chicken stock and whisk until everything is incorporated. Continue to whisk, on low, until sauce has thickened and is smooth, about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. This is super easy and super straightforward and good! YUM! No more naked chicken! See my favorite Air Fryer here.
6. Fun and Useless facts: What national holiday is Jan 6th? What is January’s birthstone?
8. My fashion crushes this week… this stunning faux fur vest on sale,
Answer to #6- January 6th is National Bean Day! Yay! Eat beans! But more importantly, it is the Epiphany, the day celebrating the Magi visiting the Christ Child. A garnet is January’s birthstone!
1. Two of my most popular posts were written for this time of the year and I update them each year to keep them relevant. They are 10 Easy Things to Do in January to Keep You Organized All Year and Life Hacks for Home: 25 Things to Do This Year to Make Life Easy. They just may inspire you!
2. You guys loved the Studio McGee pieces from last week, so here are some decor accents in the same vein. The styling is great and so are the prices. Love the patina on this weathered jug, here’s a great seagrass basket for spare pillows and such, this white terracotta bowl has a great vibe, as does this sculptural antiqued vase. Crazy about this textured throw with fringe and tassel detailing, and this terrific jute rug is the perfect foundation for any room. This light wood bowl is amazing, and these linen throw pillows with frayed edges lend the perfect finishing touch.
3. I’m not a big soup person, but in the winter I make an exception. And since I’m perpetually dieting, of course it’s going to be a healthy veggie version. Here’s a LENTIL SOUP my daughter swears by.
4. WHAT’S HAPPENING IN ACCESSORIES: Blush pink, rose gold, cream and camel – I’m all over this pale warm palette for winter, like these rose gold aviators, this blush pink Apple watch band, this really pretty beige suede bootie, this adorable creamy fleece pouch bag, this charming amethyst pendant, this featherweight blush wrap (also comes in grey and black), and these lovely rose gold coin drop earrings.
5. WHAT’S INSPIRING ME AROUND THE WEB: For me, beautiful storage is cathartic to look at and that means uncluttered, light and airy. Even vintage collections can be showcased that way, like in this lovely cabinet display. Oh to have this kind of kitchen storage – gorgeous, ample, and pristine to look at. How about these amazing built-ins in the living room for the ultimate organization. Sign me up!!
6. If you’re really into getting organized, you’ll enjoy 10 awesome home organization projects and ideas.
7. FUN FURNITURE PICKS: This rustic chic dining table can go from farmhouse to modern. And while we’re on gorgeous wood patina, this curvy end table is so lovely. For a more polished look, here’s a very pretty tulip dining table. This woven door console is so fresh, and very similar to this other one you all seemed to like. Here’s a great pair of rattan occasional chairs. This comfy wood armchair has been super popular and there are a few really nice colors left. And rounding out the picture, this caned door bar console is awesome in light or dark wood!
8. On the topic of decluttering, my favorite containers for organizing my home include these pull out drawers that I use for just about everything. The larger size is great for bigger items (I use them in my seasonal closet). I love that they keep the dust away, you can see what’s in them, and they divide things up into neat segments. I love these pop up containers for pantry food storage, these open bins for things that have to stand up, and these water hyacinth bins for things that look better hidden. I also use lots of need-specific storage, but these main containers cover the vast majority of my spaces.
9. This week on the blog I shared these must-have winter decor ideas, how to set-up and add style and function to a home gym, and how to add a bit of luxury into your home on any budget (Hint: It’s about the little luxuries… ;-))
10. UP NEXT: Some painting, more organizing and a bathroom reveal.