What do you do when you need just a little something extra when you are creating a vignette or an arrangement. What do you put in dough bowls or on top of cake stands or in trays or trophies like the one above? Think MOSS BALLS!!! Moss balls are a fabulous “decor filler”. They are fluffy and round and beautiful and organic and fill up space in the most textured, mossy way! They are also very very easy to make!!!! You don’t need to be crafty… anyone can do this project and they are a hundred times nicer and cheaper than store-bought.
Make a bevy of them in different sizes to use in your decor. I can’t wait to use them this fall with white pumpkins in a huge wooden bowl!!! Or at Christmas among silver balls or for spring in nests. Oh, they possibilities are limitless!
Let’s get started…
- styrofoam balls in assorted sizes
- moss I got mine in a big bag at A.C. Moore and of course I used a coupon.
- spray adhesive
- spray fixative in matte finish
This project is best done in a well ventilated area if you are using a spray adhesive. You also might want to cover your area with an old drop cloth and your work area with Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick.
Disposable rubber gloves are also a great idea. I learned the hard way!
2. Spray about a quarter of a styrofoam ball with spray adhesive.
3. Press moss onto the adhesive. It will stick very well. Continue until the whole ball is completely covered. Then press the moss into a compact shape. Each ball will look different. One of a kind beauty!
To keep the moss color looking vivid spray 2-3 light coats of matte spray fixative all over the ball. Dry completely.
This is such an easy project and these moss balls can add a huge pop of color and organic feel to decor!!! Just think of all the wonderful ways you can use these!
Remember to pin this to your Pinterest DIY or HOME DECOR boards. You can follow me on Pinterest and see all the fun things I’m finding to pin every day HERE.