It’s zucchini season at StoneGable! And I have a fabulous, filling and oh, so good main dish recipe for you! Stuffed Zucchini Boats are the perfect way to use up all those garden and produce stand zucchini that are profuse this time of year! Stuffed Zucchini Boats have a delicious, Italian spin! And they are so good for you! Even if your family does not care for zucchini they just might like this dish! The zucchini is tender and stuffed with Italian sausage and cheeses and yumminess!
This recipe is great for an easy meal, but would be a company worthy dinner as well! My family LOVES them!
GARDEN FRESH STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
- 4 medium zucchini cleaned well
- 1 TBS good olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 4 cups Marinara sauce
- salt and pepper
- chopped Italian flat leaf parsley for garnish
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini lenthwise, taking off the top 1/3 of the zucchini. Scoop out the pulp leaving a sturdy shell. Chop the pulp and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook onions until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add zucchini pulp and sautee on medium high for 3-4 minutes. Remove to a colander to drain.
- In the same skillet add ground beef and sausage. Brown and break apart. Add to the colander.
- In a large bowl, mix zucchini mixture, meat, egg, bread crumb, basil and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Spoon the stuffing into the zucchini boats.
- Pour the marinara into an ovenproof dish and put the zucchini boats on top of the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.