Here at StoneGable we are big, big soup eaters! No wimpy soup either. We love hearty, full-of-flavor soup that eats like a meal. And clam chowder is one of our favorites! Chowder has a history of being chocked full of chunks of fish and potatoes and onions. And this clam chowder is the definition of the best chowder! The broth is creamy with hints of the sea and the clams and potatoes are big enough to savor. Add to the mix the smokey flavor of bacon and sweetness of onions and you have a perfect storm of flavors! Don’t save this recipe for company, it’s quick and easy enough to make for dinner on a weeknight! Let’s make Scrumptious Clam Chowder!
I keep all the ingredients in my pantry and freezer so I can make this yummy clam chowder whenever I need a delicious, easy meal!
- 1 lb potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 TBS butter
- 4 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped for garnish (optional)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6~ 6oz cans chopped clams, drained. Reserve the liquid
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- a few dashes of hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Add potatoes to a saucepan of cold water and cook until just fork tender, about 8-10 minutes. Check potatoes. They should not be too soft.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until it begins to brown. Add onions and celery and cook until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Do not brown veggies. Add garlic and bay leaf and cook for one minute.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring once or twice.
- Whisk in the reserved clam liquid.
- Add potatoes, clams, half and half and hot sauce. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer for 10 minutes on low stirring frequently.
- Garnish with bacon (optional).
- Serve hot with oyster crackers.
- Clam chowder can be made ahead and refrigerated. I like it better the next day!
- Serve with a salad for a great easy meal.
You might like to follow me on Pinterest. I revamped my entire site to make it easier to peruse! See it and follow HERE.