Is there something you are obsessed with. You know, you just can’t seem to pass it up in a store if it’s on sale? My not-so-secret crush is with lanterns. Oh, I love them! Wood, metal, white, black, oil rubbed bronze, tall, small, wide, and everything in between! And they are perfect for both indoor and outdoor decorating! I’m showing off the newest addition to my lantern collecting and sharing some lantern decorating tips!
I tend to love and decorate with big pieces. And lanterns are the perfect statement piece that have a great less-is-more style! And lanterns are so flexible. They can be embellished to “hold” the season and be a vignette all by themselves! Today we are going to concentrate on a no frills, basic approach to decorating with lanterns.
I got two of these beauties at our local Pottery Barn Outlet for a whopping $49.00! Yes, you read that right!!!! I am the bargain queen! Bargains seem to hunt ME out!
Here are a few easy tips for decorating with lanterns!
- Make sure the glass of the lantern is sparkling clean. You may need to work at this! Streaks and film will definitely show up!
- Don’t put short candles in a tall lantern, they will get lost. Aim for the top of a candle to be two-thirds as tall as the glass in the lantern.
- Add a riser of some sort inside a lantern if the candle you are using is too short. Add a candlestick or a small cake pedestal in a lantern to add height and lots of interest.
- Lamps and lanterns DO go together. Just make sure they are not side-by-side!
- Grouping lanterns have a huge WOW factor! A group of three is perfect. And they don’t have to be the same style or color.
- If the base of the lantern is big enough add a few candles of varying height inside the lantern. So pretty!
- Keep the lantern vignette color palette tight. The glow of the candle is the star! Too many colors will be distracting!
- The bigger the lantern the less objects need to be around it on a table. And if you embellish the inside of a lantern with seasonal decor it can stand alone!
- Use battery operated candles on timers to make your lantern light up every night! Easy!
- Don’t forget to use lanterns outdoor or hanging on hooks. They can be so dramatic!
There you have 10 tips when decorating with lanterns!
What’s your beautiful obsession?
Remember to pin this to your DIY or HOME DEOR Pinterest boards. You can follow me on Pinterest and see all the great things I’m finding to pin HERE!