I think there should be a song or a ballad or at least a poem in iambic pentameter written about the FRITTATA! A frittata is easy to make, feeds a crowd and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or diner! It’s made with things most of us have on hand in our refrigerators right now and is a scrumptious way to use up leftovers! Frittatas are a light, baked, eggy custard concoction that even the most novice home cooks can find successful and satisfying! And here at StoneGable they are a favorite! Let’s make the easy and most perfect frittata!
There is an easy culinary equation that makes a perfect frittata.
12 eggs+ 1/2 cup dairy + salt and pepper + up to 2 cups fully cooked add ins + herbs/others +up to 1 cup cheese
This is the equation for frittata perfection!
Don’t mess with the amounts and the rest is easy!
- Use large, fresh eggs.
- 1/2 cup dairy like milk, creme friache, whole milk, yogurt, sour cream… Just make sure it is full fat!
- always salt and pepper your eggs!
- use fully cooked add! I like to add a meat and cooked leftover veggies. My favorite cooked meat ad-ins are… bulk sage sausage, italian sausage, panchetta, bacon, pepperoni, ham, smoked salmon, crab, lobster
- My favorite fully cooked veggie add-ins are broccoli, onions, leeks, shallots, asparagus, brussel sprouts, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, potatoes
- Make sure to add fresh herbs and other add ins like sun dried tomatoes, olives, capers, cooked noodles, green chilies
- Cheese is a must in a frittata and here are some great choices: cheddar, gruyere, boursin, fresh mozzarella, smoked gouda, swiss cheese and feta. Any great cheese will work!
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT FRITTATA
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup fully cooked bulk sage sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped and cooked
- 12 large fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup fully cooked asparagus
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- Heat olive oil in an 8 inch cast iron skillet or a heat proof pan on a medium low heat until hot.
- Add sausage and onions and cook on low until warmed through.
- Meanwhile crack 12 large eggs into a big bowl. Add milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until well incorporated. Add the thyme and 1/2 cup of cheese. Whisk to mix together.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan and top with the asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat until the edges set. Do not stir. Add the remaining cheese to the top of the frittata and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Do NOT overbake. The custard should be set, but still a little jiggly.
- Let the frittata sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
With a great frittata recipe a fabulous meal is easy to pull together!