HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT FRITTATA
I think there should be a song or a ballad or at least a poem in iambic pentameter written about the FRITTATA! A frittata is easy to make, feeds a crowd and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or diner! It’s made with things most of us have on hand in our refrigerators right now and is a scrumptious way to use up leftovers! Frittatas are a light, baked, eggy custard concoction that even the most novice home cooks can find successful and satisfying! And here at StoneGable they are a favorite! Let’s make the easy and most perfect frittata!
There is an easy culinary equation that makes a perfect frittata.
12 eggs+ 1/2 cup dairy + salt and pepper + up to 2 cups fully cooked add ins + herbs/others +up to 1 cup cheese
This is the equation for frittata perfection!
Don’t mess with the amounts and the rest is easy!
- Use large, fresh eggs.
- 1/2 cup dairy like milk, creme friache, whole milk, yogurt, sour cream… Just make sure it is full fat!
- always salt and pepper your eggs!
- use fully cooked add! I like to add a meat and cooked leftover veggies. My favorite cooked meat ad-ins are… bulk sage sausage, italian sausage, panchetta, bacon, pepperoni, ham, smoked salmon, crab, lobster
- My favorite fully cooked veggie add-ins are broccoli, onions, leeks, shallots, asparagus, brussel sprouts, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, potatoes
- Make sure to add fresh herbs and other add ins like sun dried tomatoes, olives, capers, cooked noodles, green chilies
- Cheese is a must in a frittata and here are some great choices: cheddar, gruyere, boursin, fresh mozzarella, smoked gouda, swiss cheese and feta. Any great cheese will work!
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT FRITTATA
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup fully cooked bulk sage sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped and cooked
- 12 large fresh eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup fully cooked asparagus
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- Heat olive oil in an 8 inch cast iron skillet or a heat proof pan on a medium low heat until hot.
- Add sausage and onions and cook on low until warmed through.
- Meanwhile crack 12 large eggs into a big bowl. Add milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until well incorporated. Add the thyme and 1/2 cup of cheese. Whisk to mix together.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan and top with the asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat until the edges set. Do not stir. Add the remaining cheese to the top of the frittata and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Do NOT overbake. The custard should be set, but still a little jiggly.
- Let the frittata sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
With a great frittata recipe a fabulous meal is easy to pull together!
Frittatas save me on Christmas morning and Easter morning or mornings when I have a large number of house guests. With my 7 grandkids now we are a family of 19!!! I put all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag the night before. I make 2 recipes. The next morning I grab my frittata pan cook one, put it in the oven to keep warm, cook the second and I am all done in about 1/2 an hour and ready to feed 20!! My family is very grateful for the yummy breakfast. Nobody wants to be the one who has to wake up early and cook breakfast but with preparing the night before, the breakfast is a snap. Hope everyone tries your recipe and see how easy this impressive meal is!
Thanks for this recipe! Lynda’s tip about putting it together in a ziplock bag the night before a breakfast is a great idea!
Oh yummy delicious goodness… this looks like a keeper for me?
Oh Yes! I like the full fat idea too! I will share this, both the recipe & the meal! Thanks
Another recipe to try. Hopefully it will be idiot proof!
Yvonne I’m trying to follow you on Pinterest but I don’t know how to access the things I have saved.
Surely there is a way to look at them and go into details, right? So far it seems like a bunch of photos I liked that flit off into cyberspace.
Hi we have that in Scotland and Im at slimming world and can eat as much as I like so brilliant another great one to try thanks once again xxc
Frittatas are such an elegant choice for lunch.