Most of us know that using dishes as wall art is not only an interesting and pretty way to embellish our walls! Who doesn’t love well chosen plates and platters hung in a pleasing display? Our eye s are almost always drawn to them! But did you know that these dishes we hang can be kicked up a notch by embellishing and layering them? I have a fun decor post today with lots of great tips about how to add an additional layer of WOW design to dishes already on our walls.
Make sure you check out my talented blogging friend’s take on dishes at the end of the post.
I have a wee little dish addiction! I LOVE them. I collect them, and I love to display them! Here’s one way to get your dishes out of the cupboards and to let them shine!
Here’s how the platter wall art looked BEFORE…
And here they are layered and embellished AFTER…
These dishes look so much more interesting, don’t they?
I put a 5 inch monogrammed decal on the bottom platter. So easy!!! You can get these decals and more HERE. Just think of all the options!
The top little platter was embellished with a bird’s nest I had on hand.
It’s fixed to the plate with a great, easy to remove product called UHU… a tacky putty I got it at a local hardware store. It also comes in white. UHU stuck the nest to the platter easily and the eggs in the nest too! When summer comes and it’s time for a change I can remove the nest from the platter and reuse the putty.
The center platter was overlaid with a black and white rooster plate on a black and white checked ribbon. I had to dig deep into the dish closet to find this one!
Layering was so easy to create… I’ll show you how!
1. Find the center top of the design on the plate. Turn the plate over and make a small centered dot on the back side of the plate like above. Note: it may not always be centered with the markings on the back of the plate.
2. Glue the bottom part of a paper clip, aligned horizontally, to the plate with a little gorilla glue over the marking dot. I tried super glue but it would not hold. I used Gorilla glue. If you use Gorilla glue you will not be able to remove the paper clip. Let it completely dry. And test that the bond is strong. (I used a paper clip because it was free and worked well with the ribbon. I think I’m onto something!)
3. Run a ribbon through the paper clip and fold it over itself. Staple the ribbon together so it holds on to the paperclip.
1. Position the top plate where you want it to fall on the bottom plate.
2. Run the ribbon over the back plate and loop the ribbon through the hanger, like you did the paper clip above. Staple the ribbon together so it holds on the hanger.
3. Image of how the layer will look from above. EASY PEASY!
And here is how the the layered and embellished trio of platters looks!
Just think of all the possibilities! Now, get out those dishes and let’s play!!!!
Please pop over to my blogging friends and see what budget friendly ideas they have for decorating with dishes!
Remember to pin this to your Pinterest DECOR or DISHES board. You can follow me on Pinterest and see what I’m finding to pin HERE!