Did you used to eat Cracker Jacks when you were a kid? I did and I loved them. Even today, I love anything that has popcorn in it. But, I bet you never had anything as good as these sweet, slightly salty butter toffee chunks of popcorn with roasted peanuts? This is such an easy recipe that uses microwave popcorn and just a few other ingredients. And it’s ADDICTIVE! No matter what your age, the kid in you will love these homemade Cracker Jacks!
Homemade Cracker Jacks are even more fun to eat out of a Mason jar! A perfect individual serving!
HOMEMADE CRACKER JACKS WITH PEANUTS
- 2 bags of bagged popcorn popped
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with butter and set aside.
- Sift through the popped popcorn and remove any unpopped kernels. Put the popcorn into a very large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add sugars and syrups and bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Take the pot off the heat and add the salt, vanilla and baking soda. Stir until the foaming stops and the caramel is light and fluffy.
- Stir the caramel into the popcorn and add nuts. Use a plastic spatula. Stir gently until all the popcorn and peanuts are covered. Transfer to the buttered baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 250 degrees. Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes. Break apart and it's ready to eat!
You can follow me on Pinterest and see all the great recipes I’m fining to pin HERE.