We are big soup eaters here at StoneGable! We love a soup that sticks to your ribs and eats like a meal! Hearty BACON CHEESEBURGER SOUP checks all those boxes and more. I love its creamy texture and full of flavor ingredients. Pile on the extras like fresh parsley, shredded cheese, bacon and homemade croutons… YUM! This recipe makes a big pot full of cheeseburger goodness!
This recipe would be perfect when you are enjoying a football game or to take to a covered dish or to make for dinner and have leftover for lunch! Although, if you are like us, soup is an anytime meal!
HEARTY CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 large onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2/3 cups baby carrots diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 20 oz ground beef
- 3 TBS butter
- 7 TBS flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk or half and half I use half milk and half half and half
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups good cheddar cheese grated
- 2-3 dashes of hot sauce
- fresh parsley chopped
- Homemade croutons
- Cook bacon in a large dutch oven or stock pot. When the bacon is done and crisp, remove it from the pot and reserve. Crumble when it is cool and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 TBS bacon fat from the pot. Add onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper to the pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.Do not brown! Remove the veggies to a large plate and reserve.
- Add the ground beef to the dutch oven and cook until there is no more pink. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 4 minutes. Add the veggies back to the pot.
- Add the chicken stock, milk and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil and immediately lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese, reserving 1/2 cup for toppings. Add 2-3 dashes of hot sauce. Simmer until all the cheese has melted. Stir and serve hot.
- While the soup is simmering make the homemade croutons. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the oven reaches 400 degrees add 3 TBS butter to a rimmed baking sheet and melt it in the oven. Watch it so it does not burn. Cut unsliced bread (I use sourdough) into cubes. about 1 cup. When the butter has melted remove the baking sheet from the oven, put the bread cubes into the pan and toss with the butter. Bake for 10-15 minutes watching them so they do not burn. The croutons should be golden brown and crisp.
- Ladle out the soup and top with shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, fresh parsley and croutons.
You can follow me on Pinterest and see the yummy recipes I’m finding to pin daily HERE.