HEARTY BACON CHEESEBURGER SOUP
We are big soup eaters here at StoneGable! We love a soup that sticks to your ribs and eats like a meal! Hearty BACON CHEESEBURGER SOUP checks all those boxes and more. I love its creamy texture and full of flavor ingredients. Pile on the extras like fresh parsley, shredded cheese, bacon and homemade croutons… YUM! This recipe makes a big pot full of cheeseburger goodness!
This recipe would be perfect when you are enjoying a football game or to take to a covered dish or to make for dinner and have leftover for lunch! Although, if you are like us, soup is an anytime meal!
HEARTY CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 large onion chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2/3 cups baby carrots diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 20 oz ground beef
- 3 TBS butter
- 7 TBS flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk or half and half I use half milk and half half and half
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups good cheddar cheese grated
- 2-3 dashes of hot sauce
- fresh parsley chopped
- Homemade croutons
- Cook bacon in a large dutch oven or stock pot. When the bacon is done and crisp, remove it from the pot and reserve. Crumble when it is cool and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 TBS bacon fat from the pot. Add onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper to the pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.Do not brown! Remove the veggies to a large plate and reserve.
- Add the ground beef to the dutch oven and cook until there is no more pink. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 4 minutes. Add the veggies back to the pot.
- Add the chicken stock, milk and Worcestershire sauce and stir. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil and immediately lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese, reserving 1/2 cup for toppings. Add 2-3 dashes of hot sauce. Simmer until all the cheese has melted. Stir and serve hot.
- While the soup is simmering make the homemade croutons. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the oven reaches 400 degrees add 3 TBS butter to a rimmed baking sheet and melt it in the oven. Watch it so it does not burn. Cut unsliced bread (I use sourdough) into cubes. about 1 cup. When the butter has melted remove the baking sheet from the oven, put the bread cubes into the pan and toss with the butter. Bake for 10-15 minutes watching them so they do not burn. The croutons should be golden brown and crisp.
- Ladle out the soup and top with shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, fresh parsley and croutons.
You can follow me on Pinterest and see the yummy recipes I’m finding to pin daily HERE.
The Hearty Bacon Cheeseburger Soup looks amazing but I can’t find the recipe, just the drool-inspiring photo.
Wordpress ate my post! I’ll work on getting it back up!
Thank you! I woke up thinking about soup and now I have no excuses. It looks fabulously yummy!
This looks really yummy. I tried your roasted cauliflower soup for dinner tonite and it was a big hit with Hubby and me. Thank you for a new fall soup recipe!
This looks divine! I love soup in the Fall and will have to give this a try.
Thank you again for the inspiration to do dinner a different way. I hadn’t thought of soups or stews in a while. I think it is a great idea to change it up and for starters, with this yummy one. Thank you again.
Looks good! But how many does the recipe serve for? Love to make it for WMU ladies of the church in November.
LOT and LOTS. I didn’t measure out the servings. Probably 15 cup servings.
This soup looks wonderful….pinned away Yvonne!
This recipe is sooo yummy! Thanks for passing it on!
Can’t wait to make this at the Fire Station!
This soup looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. Thank you
Oh my, this looks so yummy, that I can almost taste it.
Omygoodness!!!! Sounds delightful!! We’re big soup eaters also!!!
The soup is delicious! Thumbs up from the men at a potluck-several (including my husband) went back for seconds-not a drop was left at the end of the meal! Thank you for sharing and inspiring us Yvonne!!
I’m almost done with my 1st batch of this soup & I’m wondering if the 3 tablespoons of butter is for the croutons or am I missing it in the soup?
I try to stay away from breads and wheat flour; however, this wonderful hearty soup CAN be easily altered to accommodate that and gluten free diets! Thanks for posting this in 2017.
We had SNOW yesterday… a true WONDER for us. We get snow in No.Cal. about every 2 or 3 years !! We made a Snowman. FUN!!
That YUMMY soup is perfect for this time of year !!… AND with buttered crispy croutons !! De-Lish !! –thank you–
LInda of No. Cal.
Sounds yummy! Now if I could convince my picky husband to try it. 🙂
Made this amazing soup tonight. YUMMMM!!! We left off the croutons for the sake of calories. It’s so hard to be good!
This is whats for dinner tomorrow night !!!! yummy…..
Made your hearty bacon cheeseburger soup several weeks ago and I’m getting requests for it every week. Everyone loves it. Thanks so much for the recipe!!
My dear husband is the cook in the family, I have now requested he prepare the Bacon Cheeseburger a soup! I can’t wait to eat this!
soup looks delish but………………..the recipe will not print……………HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry working on this glitch!
Print away friend! It’s working!
Can you freeze this soup. I am a household of one and plan on making a half recipe but it’s still a lot for one person.
Yes, the soup freezes wonderfully!