Cucumber salad is like summer in a bowl! Fresh and oh, so light! Cucumbers are in-season right now and they are right for the pickin’! What better way to use these cool, juicy veggies than bathed in a tangy dressing infused with dill flavor? Cucumber salad is a great dish to serve especially on those hot days when we don’t want to be anywhere near the stove or cooktop!
Here’s how the cucumbers look right before I picked them…
And here they are sliced and ready to be salted… from garden to table!
It’s important to salt the cucumbers LIBERALLY to coax out their liquid.
- 3 large firm cucumbers
- 1/4 cup onions, sliced paper thin
- 3 TBS kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 TBS white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBS fresh dill, chopped
- Peel cucumbers and slice 1/16 inch using a mandoline (or as thin as you can slice them with a knife). Put the cukes in a large bowl and 1/2 cup cold water. Add kosher salt and stir. Set aside for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile put olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds... this will make sure the mayonnaise is is well mixed.
- Drain cukes and rinse well with cold water. Cukes will be limp. Add onions to the bowl, dressings and dill. Mix. Refrigerate if not used immediately. YUMMY!
- Refrigerate. Best if the flavors are left to marry together.
Remember to pin this to your FOOD or SUMMER Pinterest boards. And follow me on Pinterest HERE and see all the great things I’m finding to pin!