A shrub is a marvelous, fresh old fashioned drink! In colonial times it was there equivalent of a cocktail when made with spirits or a soft drink when made with seltzer water. It is a truly refreshing and oh, so tasty libation! The first time I had a shrub was in Williamsburg Va one Christmas season and I’ve been a fan ever since. This year I am serving a cranberry orange shrub with fresh rosemary while we open gifts on Christmas morning and with our charcuterie board in the afternoon! I hope you will try this delicious festive drink too!
A shrub is made by combining fruit and an effervescent liquid with flavored vinegar and something herbal. So much better than soda and so much better for you!
You can find Orange Balsamic Vinegar HERE.
Let’s make a merry drink!
CHRISTMAS CRANBERRY ORANGE SHRUB WITH FRESH ROSEMARY
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, washed
- 5 oz honey
- 375 ml bottle orange balsamic vinegar
- 2 quarts club soda, prosecco or champagne
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 oranges washed and sliced
- 6 cups ice
- In a medium saucepan bring honey and cranberries to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes on low stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool (I do this a few days in advance). Store in the refrigerator.When ready to serve, combine cranberry mixture, orange balsamic vinegar, club soda (or prosecco or champagne), rosemary and orange slices in a large pitcher. Stir well and serve over ice.
Cranberry Orange Shrub will put the MERRY in your Christmas!