They are buttery and sweet and simple and refined! They can be made with as little as three ingredients… I use five!
Shortbread cookies were the first thing I ever baked…
When I was in fifth grade we were living in England. Our class took a field trip to a “sister school” that was having home economics that day… and I learn how to make shortbread cookies.
They were not rolled but made the traditional way… the dough was patted in a pie pan, scored, sugared and baked. They were crumbly and delicious. I became an instant fan!
Whenever I bake shortbread cookies, their buttery smell evokes childhood memories of a little girl full of flour happily baking for the first time!
Here are a couple of tips to make your shortbreads fabulous!
Cream butter with an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes. Set a timer… super important!
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it “rest” in the refrigerator for at least one hour!
Roll out dough and cut them with a fluted round cutter. So classic!
CHOCOLATE FILLED SHORTBREAD COOKIES
A buttery, crumbly shortbread cookie with semi sweet chocolate sandwiched in between.
Write a review
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter (two sticks), room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar plus some for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla (I use a tad more)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift the flour and the salt together and set aside.
- Cream butter using an electric mixer until very fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the confectioners sugar and beat for 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- Add flour mixture in thirds, starting on a low speed. Mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Put the dough on a big piece of plastic wrap and form into a disc. Seal with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll dough about 3/4 inch thick and cut out cookies. I used a fluted 2 5/8 inch round cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Shortbreads should NOT brown. They should get very very slightly blond!
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- They are wonderful dusted with confectioners sugar and eaten just like that!
- TO MAKE SHORTBREAD SANDWICHES...
- Melt about 2/3 cup good chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until the chips are just melted and you can make the chocolate smooth and spreadable by stirring.
- Spread a dollop of chocolate on the back of one of the cookies and top it with another. Dust with confectioners sugar. Let harden.
- They will keep in an airtight container... if there are any left!
Remember to pin this to your RECIPE or COOKIE Pinterest board. You can follow me on Pinterest and see all the great recipes I am finding to pin HERE!