Some people have bumper stickers that say “I brake for animals” or I brake for yard sales”… as soon as I find one, mine will say “I brake for old, chippy shutters”.
Oh I love them! Nothing says farmhouse style like a pair of old, dirty shutters with chipping paint! I am accruing quite a collection! I still don’t have a home for several of them yet, but I’ll probably end up with shutters in most of the rooms in my house. What’s not to love! Shutters have lots of great character, architectural design, fabulous color that come from years of hanging outside and they are so on trend right now! Here’s a few tips and ideas for using all that shutter beauty in your decor!
Here are 10 tips and ideas for using shutters in your home… no matter what the style!
1. Don’t settle for anything but the real thing!!! There honestly is such a difference! You just can’t reproduce the wear and peeling paint and lifting wood fibers. What was once a problem for the original shutter owners is now our delight! Scour junk stores, re-stores, vintage and antique shops. Also look for them online. They are so so worth the hunt!
2. Don’t let long shutters discourage you! You can retro-fit them to a length that works! Here is an easy tutorial on HOW TO RESIZE SHUTTERS here.
3.DO NOT repaint shutters. They will loose their time worn appeal! If you want a smooth clean look buy new unpainted shutters!
4. Use you vacuum with a brush attachment to suck up dirt and cobwebs from old shutters. That’s it! Some grunge is part of the beauty!
5. I love to hang shutters on my walls! I like to get them up off the ground so they can be seen! I used the wainscoting ledge to lean two chippy shutters against the dining room wall.
6. Don’t be afraid to mix classy or elegant things with crusty old shutters. LOVE that rustic/luxe look… it’s my favorite!!!
7. Use shutters as art! They are a bold architectural element!
8. Wreaths were made for hanging on shutters! This says farmhouse to me!!!
9. Furniture made from shutters is very hot right now! We made a headboard using old storm shutters for one of our guest bedrooms. I’m working on this room right now. Look for lots of posts about it soon!
10. If you see great shutters at a reasonable price… pick them up!!!! Even if you don’t quite know what to do with them. Once you get them home you will! There are so many ways to use these one-of-a-kind old beauties!!
It just takes one shutter to get hooked!
You may want to pin this post on your Pinterest style or decor board! You can follow me on Pinterest by clicking HERE.