I wish I would have thought up these scrumptious donut halos about 25 years ago! Aren’t the beautiful? See, decades ago when my children were small we had DONUT SUNDAY. They actually ate a donut of their choice for breakfast every Sunday morning. It was so I would not lose my religion before I got to church. It was one less thing I had to think about and do to get everyone into the car and on the way to church before I taught a Sunday School classroom of first graders!
My babies literally thought donuts were a part of the church service! Sort of an appetizer before communion! If only I could have had the strawberry mascarpone locked and loaded in the pastry bag and some pretty assorted fruit already cut up for my kids to put on their donuts.
Fast forward a couple decades… and the gang will be back with grandbabies in tow soon and I’ll be surprising them with this blast-from-the-past breakfast. I don’t think any of my “babies” have even had a donut. So Gigi will be introducing them to this important part of Sunday church!
Hope you will make this easy-peasy pretty dessert or breakfast!
- mini plain donuts
- 8-ounces mascarpone cheese, cold
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 3-4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- assorted sliced fruits
- mint leaves (optional)
- edible flowers (optional)
- To make the strawberry mascarpone add mascarpone cheese, half and half, powdered sugar, vanilla and strawberries to the mixing bowl of a mixer. Using the whisk attachment beat together using a mixer until soft peaks form. Put the mascarpone mixture in a pastry bag with a medium size round tip and refrigerate until ready to use. You can use a plastic sandwich type bag and cut one corner off.
- To assemble...
- Squeeze out pretty rounds of strawberry mascarpone onto the mini donuts as shown in image. Top with assorted sliced fruit, mint leaves and/or edible fruit.
- Thanks to Brooke Lark from Unsplash for her pretty image and inspiration!
You might like to follow me on Pinterest and see what I’m finding to pin every day HERE.