Do you know what time it is? PESTO TIME!!!! It’s time to make pesto and use up all those big bushy basil plants! It’s so easy to turn basil and a few other fresh ingredients into scrumptious green-gold! I love love love pesto! And I can’t imagine going through the year without a big stash in the freezer. So, before all of my basil plants are done for the season I’m picking every leaf and turning them into the most delicious thing in my frig and freezer!
I have made this classic Italian aromatic sauce for decades. And if you have never made it before… please do! It’s so so worth it. It is NOTHING like the store bought kind! Oh I can’t sing the praises of Pesto enough!
Perfect drizzled over garden tomatoes (these are mine), piled on roasted veggies and meats, stirred into pasta or used as a base for a more complex sauce, pesto is a versatile and crowd pleasing addition to your favorite recipes!
And here’s a great little secret… I use a couple of “cubes” mixed into my favorite jarred tomato sauce to give it a wonderful homemade flavor!
The summery flavor of pesto can be saved by freezing the sauce it in ice cube trays. When the pesto is frozen solid, pop the cubes into a freezer bag or freezer container.
- 2 ½ c. fresh basil leaves, packed
- ¼ c. toasted pine nuts
- ½ c. parmesan cheese, chunked
- or grated
- ½ c. Locatelli cheese, chunked or
- grated. If you cannot find Locatelli cheese, use all Parmesan.
- ¾ c. light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 TBS butter
- dash of fresh ground pepper
- In a dry pan, add pine nuts and toast over low heat. Be very careful, they easily burn. Put the pine nuts in food processor.
- Wash and dry basil leaves and add to food processor. Put in all other ingredients with the pine nuts and basil and process until blended.
- I like my basil a little less processed and just a tad "chunky".
- This is one of my very favorite recipes! I'm so happy to share it with you!
Remember to pin this to your RECIPE or FOOD Pinterest boards. You can follow me on Pinterest and see what I’m pinning daily HERE.