I am so excited to share this oh, so easy DIY with you today! It can really change your decor. All it takes is a little paint and magic happens! Painting books takes no time at all and the results are amazing! Just think of all the great colors you can use to create accents for your home! And here’s the best part… you can still read the books! So grab a paintbrush and let’s begin!
I use Amy Howard’s ONE STEP PAINT. You can get this chalk-type paint at your local Ace Hardware store. I used a really gorgeous creamy soft, off white called Bauhaus Buff. You can see the AH color chart HERE.
I really liked mixing the white painted books with burlap covered book to compliment my decor.
WHITE PAINTED BOOKS DIY
- hard covered books
- Amy Howard ONE STEP PAINT (from Ace Hardware)
- paint brush (I use a chip brush)
- Amy Howard Clear Wax (from Ace Hardware)
- paint brush for wax (I use a chip brush)
- soft, white cloth
- Choose hard covered books. I save the book jackets in case I ever want to put the book back in them. I am not changing the integrity of the book so I can still read it.
- Open the books with the spine up. Try to open them with about the same amount of pages on each side.
- Paint two coats of Amy Howard One Step paint on each book cover, including the edges. Let the paint dry completely between coats.
- When each coat dries, rub a piece of a paper bag over the book to knock down any little bumps.
The painted book can be considered done at this point but you might want to put a coat of Amy Howard Clear Wax on it. Giving your books a coat of wax makes them feel amazing and they will wear much better. Spills will wipe right off.
Your book is actually a chalkboard at this point… who knew! You can prime it with chalk and write on it. Wouldn’t a bunch of pretty colored books with chalk numbers on their spines look great in your decor? Once wax is applied to the book it will lose it’s chalkboard properties. You can wax the cover and back and leave the spine without wax.
4. After the two coats of paint have completely dried put a light coat of clear wax on the book cover. Wait for it to come to tack (about 30 minutes) and buff it with a clean, soft white cloth. You will have a dull sheen! So pretty!
5. Use them to decorate!
Here is a very helpful and informative video. Amy Howard shares lots of tips about painting with One Step.
Here’s another video with Amy showing how to use waxes. She is using a light antique wax and a dark wax but the technique is the same. You can also use these beautiful waxes on painted books to give them an antiqued look.
Just think of all the colors you can paint books. Tape them off to make checks, stripes, chevrons etc! You are only limited by your imagination!
Now find some books, grab a paintbrush and get started! What color will you paint your books?
Here’s another way to embellish a book… HOW TO COVER A BOOK WITH BURLAP
You might like to follow me on Pinterest and see what I’m finding to pin every day HERE.