When I think of gourmet hot dogs I think of ballparks and fairs and lunch trucks! YUM! But don’t overlook making them at home. They are an easy and oh, so scrumptious family meal and a picnic favorite.
I am addicted to a fabulous foodie show called Bizzare Foods, Delicious Destinations on the Travel channel. On a recent episode, the host Andrew Zimmern virtually took me to Chicago to check out the great food. And there in Chicago, I got reintroduced to the humble but really scrumptious dressed up hot dog!
How about you? Admit it… you love a well dressed hot dog! They are part of our American fiber!
I personally LOVE a good chili dog! That’s one reason I make an extra helping or two of chili or order a bowl of chili with our take out orders from one local restaurant that makes amazing chili. I’ll freeze the chili and keep it on hand to make a gourmet chili dog!
You can steam a hot dog in a little water or grill them outside or on the stovetop. How about toasting them over an open flame on a stick! Just as long as they are piping hot all the way through.
Here are some really yummy combinations for creating your own gourmet hot dogs at home…
- Bacon wrapped dogs brushed with Teriyaki sauce and grilled. Diced fresh pineapple added to the bun along with a little relish.
- Hot dog cooked and smothered in chili. Cheddar cheese, onions, and sliced jalapeno’s added. Crushed Fritos or nachos on top for an extra flair!
- Caramelized onions, Dijon mustard, and Swiss cheese melted over the grill.
- Saurkraut and onions. Add cheese or ham as well.
- Dog smothered in bleu cheese dressing, hot sauce, celery or coleslaw.
- Avacado, diced eggs, crumbled bacon and mayo.
- Pinto beans, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, mustard, and onions
- Coleslaw, onions, bbq sauce and cheese
Now I hope I have you thinking about adding the not so humble hot dog to your get togethers this summer! Just make sure to dress them up and make them “goumet”!
What is your favorite way to gourmet up a hot dog?