I love soup! And I love making soup too! I feel like I’m doing something so so good for my family! I’ve been making cheddar broccoli soup for a few years and it’s still a family favorite! Thick, creamy, and full of broccoli and cheddar flavors that play so scrumptiously together! YUM! This is such an easy soup to make because it goes into your slow cooker! Make a double batch and freeze some to have for an easy last minute meal!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a great soup to make for a family meal and it’s company worthy too!
- 6 cups fresh broccoli
- 2 TBS good olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 TBS flour
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half
- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes, without browning stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper and stir. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Remove and put in the slow cooker.
- Wash and trim broccoli. Rough chop and add to the slow cooler. Add the chicken stock and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- In a bowl add flour and milk. Whisk until incorporated and add to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on high and let the contents cook for 30-45 minutes. Add cheese and let it melt. Turn off the slow cooker and remove about 1/2 cup of broccoli. Using an emulsifying blender, blend until smooth. This can also be done in batches in a blender. Chop the remaining broccoli and add to the soup.
- Top soup with cooked and crumbled pancetta.
You can follow me on Pinterest and check out all the great recipes I’m finding to pin daily HERE.