WHITE POINSETTIA STOCKING TUTORIAL
You will need…
1/2~ 2/3 total yards felt (from a fabric bolt)
~white felt for the poinsettia
~ light cream felt for the pointettia
~ a different white felt for the stocking
~ pearls, 2 sizes
~crystals, 3 sizes
~tiny silver beads
hot glue gun
Amy Butler felt stocking template
I scoured the Internet for the best stocking template I could find. Amy Butler’s felt stocking template had the nicest shape and was very easy to put together. Her stocking is adorable too and would be fun to make!
MAKING THE STOCKING
1. Copy and assemble stocking template. This will be your stocking pattern
2. Pin a double thickness of the white felt to the pattern
3. Cut along the dark outside line
4. Sew stocking front and backs together, leaving the top open. I used a 1/3 inch seam allowance. You could use more, probably 1/2 inch. If you do not want to sew the stocking with a machine you could blanket stitch it closed. I think that would give the stocking such a charming detailed look!
5. Fold the top edge of the stocking down 2 1/2 inches
6. Set your stocking aside. It it ready to be embellished
10. Glue 6 large leaves to the circle of felt
11~ 12. Glue the last 6 large leaves to the poinsettia, spacing them between the original leaves
13~ 14. Glue 6 medium leave on top of the large leaves, spacing them between the top large leaves. Repeat with the final layer of medium leaves.
15. Glue the last 6 small leaves on top of the medium leaves. I used the eraser end of a pencil to gently push the final leaves down into the the center of the poinsettia. This also made them stand up a little.
EMBELLISHING THE POINSETTIA CENTER
16. Add a dab of hot glue to the center of the poinsettia and fill in with beads. I used pearls, crystals and small silver beads.
Your stocking is ready and waiting for it to be filled with small gift boxes and delightful goodies!
If making a Christmas stocking is just too much for you in the heat of summer…
Add a pin back to the poinsettia and tuck it into a little nest…
you’ll have a sweet gift for someone special!