Art is such a personal thing. I happen to love anything architectural! So when I found these wonderful, chippy pieces of molding from old homes in Washington DC at a reuse it store I could not help coming home with a bag full. I had no idea at the time they would be hanging on my living room wall as art! Although the art is very neutral they make quite a striking, elegant statement!
And the best part is this art was sooooo easy to make and very inexpensive! I’m so excited to show you how!
Here are some pieces of molding I brought back from Washington DC. Aren’t they full of chippy character? I think so. Finding these fabulous architectural elements are easier than you think. Many town and cities have stores that sell reclaimed building goods. It’s so worth a trip if you have a store near you! You will be amazed at what you can find!
Here’s how you can make your very own, one-of-a-kind architectural art!
- architectural elements (picture above)
- stretched canvas ( mine is 12″x 12″)
- burlap- cut 2 inches larger than the canvas on all sides
- Mod Podge
- foam roller or foam brush
- staple gun
- hot glue gun
2. Put a coat of Mod Podge on the front of the canvas.
3. Center the burlap on the canvas and press down to adhere.
4. Starting on one side, stretch the burlap around the edge of the frame and staple it onto the frame.
5. Do the same to the OPPOSITE SIDE of the frame. Continue till all the burlap sides are stapled taut to the frame.
6. Turn the burlap canvas side up and place the architectural elements so they are pleasing to your eye. Use hot glue to adhere them to the burlap.
7. When the hot glue is dry, turn the the burlap face side down and staple the wood through the frame holding it securely.
So easy and so fun!
I hung my burlap canvases in larger chippy frames that I found at a local vintage craft fair to give them extra drama! I’m going to ask Bobby to figure out how to make these frames. Hopefully, I’ll have a diy on HOW TO MAKE BIG CHIPPY FRAMES coming soon!
And here’s how the Architectural Art looks in my living room!
There are so many ways to make beautiful one-of-a-kind art out of scraps of this and that! I hope this has inspired you to try your hand at making your own original art!
You might want to pin this to your Pinterst DIY or Craft board. You can also follow me and see all the diy’s I am pinning! Click HERE to follow!