PAINTING A PEDESTAL TABLE

Are you tired of hearing me drone on and on about needing more light in my family room?
My grand plan includes taking out the windows and putting in several glass doors… ripping up the carpet  (only 4 years old)… and painting this space a lighter color. This will all probably be finished when pigs fly! I am always years ahead of the actual project!
But, please don’t tell Bobby yet… he is still working on the dining room! He doesn’t need to think that far ahead… that’s my job!  So for now I am painting the furniture …

Here is the before…
 it was taken in the evening a good while ago… before the cat and dog, in a friendly wrestling match, knocked over the table and sent my favorite lamp crashing to the floor in pieces! I have been looking for over a year for another just like it… and I can’t find one… yet!
Back to the table… the detail is lost in the dark wood.
Here is how it looks now…
I think the new color shows off the pedestal detail…
I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is Pure White and lightly sanded and antiqued it with Clear and Dark Wax and then did a little dry brushing with ASCP Pure White.
This is Bobby’s “office”. He comes home and does work in this chair. The table is sorta his desk.
 After seeing patients all day and attending to tons of faxes, files and phone calls, I think he wants nothing to do with a desk! The leather chair and table work as a cozy after-hours place to work.
Pin It

Creative Cain Cabin

Comments

Gorgeous! You are right – the details show up much better with the paint on the base. I need to do that to a couple of pieces of furniture. I just love the lamp that’s on the table now. The shade too. :)

What a difference the white paint made in the base of that table. It is really a pretty table with lots of detail that shows up much more with the white paint. Brilliant idea Yvonne!

Wow! What a difference a coat of paint makes! I love the new look. It definitely adds personality and detail to your space! how did you like the Annie Sloan chalk paint?

Very pretty, indeed! You are right, the new color really shows off the detail. My elderly parents have lots of dark wood furniture. They are putting their house on the market and have let me paint of couple of pieces in an antiqued white finish (similar to your table) and it updates the look SO MUCH.

Wow! Your beautiful table changes the entire ambiance of that corner! What a difference the white tones make! I look forward to reading your tutorial!

Hi Yvonne. The table looks just beautiful now. You were so right in feeling it needed to be painted. Is the lamp a new one, since the other got broken. GORGEOUS, I must say. I really think my mind works just like yours..Happy Wednesday..Judy

I sure hope Bobby KEEPS MOVING or you just might end up painting HIM!!~!! LOL!!!! The tabe looks great. That is funny cause when I saw the first picture, I thought, “I love that lamp”!!!! The next time I come to your house I am going to KEEP MOVING:):) XO

No surprise, I love it!! I hope you will tell us more about the use of dark wax and maybe how you do antiquing! Your students are eager! A future tutorial?? Thanks for all the inspiration Yvonne!

Hi Yvonne,
    Thanks so much for your visit and sweet message. Oh my God, beautiful blog, I fall in love with your blog indeed.
    so many tips.
    here already late a t night. I will be back tomorrow to visit your intersting posts.
    just exiting me.
    have a nice day
    hugs

Love the new look of the table Yvonne, the paint really does enhance the detail of the base. Great change, the table makes a statement now with the lighter color. I’m right there with you on thoughts of house updates and your right…the less our husbands know about future projects the better, it would send them screaming from the house with decorating overload.

Yvonne, the table transformation is beautiful. I need to update some of my end tables, and I’ll look into the chalk paint and wax. I’m just like you with projects–moving ahead. Rattlebridge is light challenged. Part of the problem is the porch’s roof. I’m going to have skylights installed, and a “tunnel” will direct the light (hopefully!) into the living spaces. We expanded a few doorways, and that helped so much with light. We painted the walls (still painting–never ends) a creamy white, and that made an instant difference. Also, I will replace solid doors in the living spaces (just 2) with glass-paned ones. I love everything you and Bobby are doing to your home! You are such an inspiration!